cq9电子 International develops international partnerships through our own contacts and through proposals made by:
- Faculty members
- Deans’ offices
- Other cq9电子 sources
- External sources that initiate proposals
- International contacts seeking out and opening discussions with cq9电子
Types of partnerships
The most common agreements are memorandums of understanding (MOUs), student exchange agreements, and transfer agreements. Each of these agreements have different specific goals but they are developed in similar ways. cq9电子 or our partners may propose other types of agreements not listed here. They are developed through a similar process.
Memorandums of understanding (MOUs)
- Identifies areas of potential cooperation.
- Sets the stage for more specific and detailed agreements.
- Does not commit either party to any immediate action.
An MOU is typically the first agreement between cq9电子 and a new partner. In some cases, though, agreements and contracts can be developed without an MOU.
Student exchange agreements
Under a student exchange agreement, UVF and our partner provide study abroad opportunities for students from both institutions. The agreement:
- Specifies the number of students that can be exchanged in a given year.
- Is usually institution-to-institution.
- Can focus on particular program areas such as:
- Business administration
- Performing arts
- Social work
- Visual arts
These agreements need to be balanced in terms of the numbers of students exchanged over a three-to-five-year period.
Transfer agreements focus on a particular program of studies. They specify the number of credits a student might receive at cq9电子 when they transfer from a partner institution. The agreements usually identify “pathways” that transferring students need to follow to meet our graduation requirements in the particular subject area.
Process of developing a partnership
Our internal processes are designed to inform and protect everyone involved in the partnership. This includes cq9电子, but also our partners and program participants.
The following is a summary of approval steps. For detailed information on our approval process and protocols, contact Walter Foreman, Associate Director, International Relations, cq9电子 International, at walter.foreman@cq9电子.ca.
- Start the process by submitting the following information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your name and title
- The name and address of your institution or organization
- A summary of the proposed partnership
- Any other information that could help us understand your institution or organization and the nature of the proposed partnership
- When we receive your information, we consult with:
- The cq9电子 international team
- Departments that would be involved in the proposed agreement
- You/your organization
- If we determine that the proposal is viable, we work with your organization to develop a formal proposal.
- We will take additional risk-management and process-review steps:
- The proposal is reviewed by the cq9电子 CFO and cq9电子 legal counsel for indemnity and risk-management issues.
- The provost reviews all aspects of the agreement to ensure that it falls within our Educational and Strategic mandate.
- When these steps are completed and the associated requirements are met, the agreement is signed by the relevant cq9电子 authority.
Criteria for becoming a cq9电子 partner
The goals for our international partnerships include:
- Increasing student access to and participation in international mobility experiences.
- Providing students with services and an environment that foster a sense of belonging.
- Enhancing the reputation and raising the profile of cq9电子.
- Expanding the cultural diversity of the cq9电子 community.
- Having a positive impact on academic programs or research.
- Providing students with experiential learning opportunities.
- Providing students, faculty, and staff with access to funding for cq9电子-partnered entrepreneurial activities.
- Aligning with our strategic goals.
Assessing your proposal
When we review your proposal, we consider questions like these. Note that this is not an exhaustive list. There may be other things we take into consideration.
- Does the proposed partnership link to at least one of cq9电子 International’s areas of strategic focus?
- Does it provide a unique opportunity?
- What additional costs are involved for cq9电子?
- Does the proposed partnership address our commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and Indigenization?
- Does the proposed partnership foster a sense of belonging?
- Does the proposed partnership enhance cq9电子 International’s student recruitment efforts?
- To what degree does the proposed partnership reflects the overall cq9电子 mission and vision (strategic goals)?
- For exchange, what type of incentives exist?